Komen Race for the Cure
Join us for the 2016 Komen Baton Rouge Race for the Cure®
LSU Old Front Nine
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Since its inception in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local Race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 Races with more than 1 million people.
The Komen Race for the Cure is a unique event, designed and implemented to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. It has proved to be an enormously effective way to reach many women and men with the message that breast cancer is not necessarily fatal if mammography and breast self-exam become routine. As well as being a road race for runners, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts many first timers and recreational runners. The Komen Race for the Cure is an opportunity for thousands of women, men and their families, running or walking, to spread the breast cancer message within their communities.
Up to 75 percent of funds raised at the Race remain here in the Komen Baton Rouge Affiliate to provide diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.
Why we need your support:
Every step counts! Your donation provides women and men in the Komen Baton Rouge Affiliate with services that have literally saved lives. You help make the following programs possible:
- Free mammograms and diagnostics to uninsured and underinsured women
- Medical treatment for qualified breast cancer patients who cannot afford care, including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation
- Support services including support groups, assistance with finding financial resources, prescription refills and transportation to medical appointments
- Education about the warning signs of breast cancer, methods of early detection and the latest treatment options
- Cutting edge research to find a cure for breast cancer
Up to 75 percent of net proceeds are used for local programs like those listed above, with 25 percent used to fund breast cancer research.